labor costs for engine swap?

Erik Seo - The Canyons Resort wrote:

> So I'm thinking of putting in a 1.8 8v JH engine into my 77 rocco.
>
> Any estimates as to how much it should cost for labor?
> Hours, etc....

Do it yourself = $0 for labor.  ;])

It depends on what you wan the mech. to do. There are three phases to
this I can think to group things in:

1. Prep and refreshen new motor and chassis while it's out.
Might include an engine rebuild; hot tanking, bearings, seals, painting
or coating, etc. New clutch bolted on.

2. Bolt up new block to chassis.
Includes attaching wiring & coolant & axles, etc. Might include swapping
things like a valve cover to mate vacuum hoses, smog equipment, etc.
Involves Heavy Lifting.

3. Dial in new motor & Debug.
Timing, Fuel to Air Ratio, Idiot Check for lost or missing items & loose
bolts, misc.

Each phase seems to include places you might want a professional to do
something and places where it is advisable you handle it yourself.

Steps One & Three can be done mostly by you, with say dropping off stuff
to clean or a drop in appointment to hook up the tailpipe to a gas
analyzer.

Step Two might be where you need the most help from a shop in terms of
actual labor rates. Of course jobs like motor rebuilds cost money too.

If the JH is healthy (compression test?) you might just want to do it
yourself. A few new seals, a $100 clutch kit, a couple of additions to
the tool box and a helpful friend or three (somebody has to drink the
beer); it's on!

I dropped a JH into my 81- I changed the valve cover, I put a new
friction disk and pressure plate, new main crank seal, etc. Dropped it
in via a block & tackle and A-frame.  Full on Shop Time? More than a
couple Hundred, less than a Thou, depending.

TBerk