Help please! lost my nut

I went down and got a castle nut from a gulf GTI (didn't have any scirocco
knuckles in stock) and it went right on the first time (kewl), decided to
check the other side to make sure it was secure and it had a nut but wasn't
a castle nut and had no cotter either (I haven't serviced these parts
before) so it just goes to show, if you buy a car from someone who dosen't
seem to know what they are doing, CHECK IT THOUGHLY-DOWN TO EVERY NUT!
It a dam shame too, the gurls were hottie!