i hate problems like this (clutch)

I noticed this, didn't you say you re-used the push rod? I had been told by
a few different VWtechs, that you want to replace the push rod whenever you
rebuild the clutch assembly. When I rebuilt mine the last time I compared
the old push rod with the new and the old was a good 0.20" shorter and
rounded off on the clutch side(the new had a cone shape to the end of it).
If I am not mistaken, the push rod can be replaced with the tranny still in
the car by pulling the t/o bearing and extracting the rod with long nose
pliers.
I do not know if this is part of your problem or not, maybe to other listers
have a better idea as to the tolerances of the push rod and if it could be
contributing to your problem if it is worn.

Hope it helps, Eli