Update on my headache (likely to be longish)

Yes, we love them, but they are ungrateful.  I recently had the car in twice
for exhaust problems.  These were taken care of with relative ease and very
little money.  While feeling great about the exhaust victory, the car died
on me for the first time in the middle of a busy intersection where it
somehow managed to block at least one lane of Northbound, Southbound,
Eastbound and Westbound traffic respectively.  Cursing loudly, I pushed the
car off to the one corner of the intersection.  To make a long, boring story
a little shorter, the distributor had to be replaced.  I decided not to do
this on my own because I was afraid of timing issues.  I took it to a shop
that would "get it right".  Of course, the car came back with the timing all
screwed up.  I called the shop and explained that they messed my timing up.
They told me to bring the car back in and they would take care of it.  This
made me happy.  On the way to take the car back in, the car died again.
This did not make me happy.  I sat there trying to start it and it just
cranked and cranked.  I called a tow truck.  Upon hanging up the phone, for
the hell of it, I decided to try to start the car and sure enough, it fired
right up.  After calling the tow company back and telling them to forget
about the tow, I was on my way to the garage.  About 1000 feet before I
reached Maximo Import motors however the car made a very sudden and loud,
"BANG!!!!!!!!!!!!" sound  and blew out a dark black smoke cloud.  It also
immediately quit running.  I feared the worst, like new engine kind of
worst.  Well, it ended up just needing a new coil and the timing problem was
resulting in backfiring.  This made me happy.  With the timing fixed and the
new coil, I was very anxious to engage in the very same time of activities
Cathy describes...curvy road testing, rapid acceleration and the general
Scirocco freedom of flight feeling, the "driver's wanted" shit, ya know...
The mechanic made an odd remark on my way out the door though...I didn't
think much of it.  He said, "Hey, you really ought to fix that exhaust
before the cops pull you over!"  I said, "Ok, thanks a lot, have a good
one.", thinking the whole time, "What the hell is wrong with this goof, I
just got the exhaust fixed.  He must be thinking of another car."  He
wasn't.  Seems the muffler I just had put on exploded, we're talking a
nuclear explosion here, when the car backfired just before it died.  All
that cranking the engine must have built up some fumes I guess...  So here
is the moral to the story:

New Distributor + Labor... $271.00
Original Exhaust Work + Exploded Muffler... $129.00
New Coil... $49.00
Drama of waiting for the next malfunction...priceless.

Getting from point A to point B is boring.  What about all those interesting
and unknown points in between that you never would have seen had it not been
for driving a Scirocco?  (With the disclaimer that Sciroccos are still
cheaper, more fun to drive, and more reliable than just about any new car
out there.)