PS pump problems

I think I know the answer to this, but I want to make
sure I'm not daft:

[History]
Car: 1988 Scirocco 16v
Symptom: Squealing (but working fine) power steering
pump.
Solution: Buy a reman PS pump from Auto Zone and
install.

PROBLEM:
Now, my "new" PS pump works almost too good from
2000rpm upward. Lots of assist. Rather Buick-like
compared to the old pump. However, at idle, I get NO
POWER ASSIST WHATSOEVER. It's perfectly consistent:
Somewhere below 1500rpm I start feeling some boost,
until it works quite well at 2000. Below that point,
none.

The Bentley says the system is self-bleeding, and
gives you a procedure for helping it along (turn wheel
lock-to-lock while watching fluid level drop). I did
this, and the fluid level is stable.

Did I get a bum reman'd pump?

Thanks,
Neal