OT - need help with a Jetta

Hi,
     Sorry for the bandwidth, but I need some help.  I just swapped the timing
belt on a friend's 90 Jetta and something isn't right.  The timing marks looked
exactly the same as on my 87 8v (he has a 1.8 8v in the car), but before I
pulled the belt off, I looked and they didn't line up the way I'm used to.
Since it was running well, I wimped out and chose to put the new belt on,
maintaining the timing as it was.  I marked everything 3 different ways (cam
sprocket, intermediate shaft gear and crank gear) and I'm very sure the new
belt is on with the exact same valve timing.
     Now, the problem.  It runs and idles quite smoothly, but seems to lack
power.  I would have expected it to run like crap if the valve timing was off.
Should the timing marks line up on this thing the same way they do on a
Scirocco (mark on the cam sprocket with the front of the valve cover, notch in
the crank pulley aligned with the mark on the intermediate shaft gear)?
     The only other things I did were clean up the air filter box, checked the
ignition timing (was spot on) and poured in a bottle of injector cleaner.  Any
help would be greatly appreciated.

--
Cheers,
Colin

If you can read this line, you're probably not illiterate.