(named: ) turbo/super

> Great info and
> opinions... as far as
> the Momentum G motor goes, it was strictly a
> one-off.

Well, it was probably a one-time thing for Momentum,
but it isn't a "one-off" per-se. VW did produce some
Golf "Limited" 16v-G60 engines. AFAIK, they simply
re-created the kit.

You can get all the necessary parts to do it. SLS in
Germany make it in a "kit" form. oRz Motorsport is an
SLS distributor in the US. Give Oliver a shout and
tell him I sent you. :) http://www.orz-motorsport.com.

>  For the amount
> of money it cost, a turbo installation probably
> would have yielded
> more power.

Oh, absolutely! A ($6000+) top-notch SC setup will
likely never have the same raw power as a ($6000+)
top-notch turbo setup. Turbos are generally capable of
MUCH higher boost numbers than even the best
superchargers. But that isn't always the primary goal.

> there's no lag followed by a rush of boost and
> acceleration.  It was
> just utterly smooth and linear power from off-idle
> right up to 6500
> or whatever the redline was at.

**That** is why I'm going G60. I'm staying 8v because
it's a LOT cheaper, and I don't need as much power as
a 16v can do (300+hp, no prob), but you get the idea.
Drivability.

> Plus it sounded SO cool :)

Yes, they do! The G60 just has an evil whine, barely
audible over the exhaust. It says, "something's not
normal about this car". :) Then there's the Lysholm,
which sounds like a friggin fire engine (LOUD whine).
I would not put one of those in a daily-driver car!
Turbo whoosh followed by wastegate and blow-off valve
whistles are cool too, especially with anti-lag
pyrotechnics!

Neal

=====
~Neal