what would it take to swap to a 2.0 8v from a 1.8 8v

Sorry about my last bit of half-baked advice. That's what several glasses of
wine and no sleep will do to you. :^) Now that I actually read the question,
the request was about an 8v fitment.

Okay, so... you have the 3A and the ABA motors to play with. The ABA
requires a spacer to bring the downpipe down far enough so that it does not
hit the firewall. The alternative is to run a custom downpipe that drops
down lower. You may also have some clearance problems between the intake
manifold (throttlebody?) and the firewall. Stiffer motor mounts will help
with this.

Meanwhile, the 3A needs some tricks played with mounting the distributor and
some other stuff. I'll let somebody else talk about that. I've gotta run.

Later,
--
Scott F. Williams
NJ Scirocco nut