gear Lube, etc.

RE:  Gear lube fill

I've added gear lube by just attaching some PVC tubing to the gear oil
bottle nozzle and upending.  If its winter or you're in a hurry, warm the
gear lube bottle up in pail of hot water to make it flow better.

Since I had to do three different lubes on Jeep ZJ, I bought at marine
supply (ie boat dealer) a gear lube pump.  Its a ~4" long plastic pump
with a cap that will be too large for typical redline bottle but will
still work if you take care to keep bottle upright.   But......that small
~$7 boat gear oil pump is -identical- to the shampoo bottle pump in a big
bottle of "Aussie" brand shampoo.

RE:  Drilled brake rotors

Um, if price were really no object, you'd buy the optional
ceramic/composte rotors as per the option on latest Porsche turbo.  But,
you'd more than double your investment your typical VW car.

If price really is an object, drilling grey cast iron using high school
geometry and drill press (and chmafering holes with countersink to wear
limit) is NBD.  bTDT on SOLID rotors for 78 MKI.  They seemed to work,
made cool SCHHHH sounds, and had kinda cheese grater effect on brake pads.

I agree that increasing airflow to brakes after you make sure everything
is up to snuff is the best solution before going to fancy rotors, etc.
VW did same on 16V GTis and recent GRM article (quoted here a while back)
reconfirms.

I think current Porsche owners expect drilled rotors and it is way to
keep premium on replacement parts........Perception and tradition are
important parts of the Porsche experience.....

RE:  Turbo vs. Superchargers

I think the differences are kinda like the above rotor thread.  IMO the
implementation is more important than hte system.  And, the full name for
a turbo is turboSUPERcharger.  FWIW, Audi is putting W8s and V8s rather
than dual turbos in some "S" cars.  Abused turbos (chips, bad gas, bad
habits) can cause wtty claims.......

RE:  lifter noise.

AT fluid is what I've heard before, too.  FWIW, Justice Bro's has product
recommended by local VW emporium as effective, too.

My $0.02, the only skirts seen in my Scirocco lately have been between
the wheel wells...

-- Brian D./OH
How can you be in two places at once when you're not anywhere at all...
Firesign Theatre