How can I tell if my head has been shaved before?

I found a 1.8 solid lifter head, and it's at a local shop getting
rebuilt right now.  The deck was a bit rough, and I wouldn't mind
up-ing the compression a bit, so I was going to shave 4 thou or so off
of it.  BUT, if someone already shaved it, that'll bring the
compression up over 11:1 (head is going on a 2.0 ABA).

Does anyone have a measurements to help me verify this?  My machinist
said there is either a depth measurement (using a depth mic across the
combustion chamber, measuring to a specific point), or a measurement
from the deck surface to the valve cover mating surface.  I guess
CC'ing could also produce a number, but the measurements seem like an
easier option...

Any help would be much appreciated, Thanks!

Mark.

Find, Connect Date! http://personals.yahoo.ca