020 tranny ?

the cable has been replaced b4 because a) it looks new and b) it isnt self
adjust.  it is hard to push the petal down but it doesnt feel gritty.  i
replaced the gear oil and putting it into first doesnt sound quite as bad,
but it still buzzes and all the other gears sound terrible.  i havent let
out on the petal because i am scared to mess shit up.  any more ideas
anyone?  i have been without my rocco for about 7 months now while
rebuilding the engine.  i just want my car back. :(

thanx
tony