Ouch thats ho!!

Last night I noticed that when I start the car, the wire from the (+)battery
post gets hot to the touch(the longer it carnks the hotter it gets). Now
when I bought the car the starter was out of it, so with the use of two
books I figured where the wires went, I also the wiring to a 92 Jetta and an
86 GTI. NOw the wire coming from the battery goes to the top post as well as
the red wire from the alt. The terminal on the tranny side has the black\red
wire and the terminal on the radiator side has the other starter plug.
The starter seems to be slowing down the more I crank to car. I first
thought i had a grounding problem but can not find one.
My question is: could my solenoid be going bad? is there something specific
to a scirocco that my books do not cover that i have hooked up wrong or
missing?
Thanks for any advice you can give.