[HELP!] The continuing saga of Daun's poor running '80 Scirocco

On Thu, 18 Apr 2002 18:32:53 -0700 (PDT) Daun Yeagley <vwdaun@yahoo.com>
writes:

>I've been over vacuum lines a few times, though not with
>carb cleaner.

Might show you something, might not. Im thinking its too rich personally.

>Any clue on how to set it up properly?  I've leaned it
>considerably from what it was when I put this distributor
>on - could see puffs of black smoke at idle.

Puffs of black is an overly rich condition.

Well, without a way to check fuel mixture (IE the right equipment) you
can do the old Potterman method.

What he does is turns the handle (on the 3mm hex wrench) counter
clockwise until the car starts to stumble. (Warm it up first.) then he
turns it clockwise until the buzzing from the fuel distributor starts to
run, stop run, run, stop run. Then he finds a happy meduim makng sure the
buzzing of the fuel distributor is continuous. It tends to end up a tad
on the rich side BUT its ok. A little rich is safe, lean is bad.

>Yeah...    gotta miss this year.  Probably next year
>though.  When are you and Julie coming to Cincy?  :)
>
>Thanks for the ideas.

Um, were not! LOL!! :)

Shawn Méze
86' Jetta GLi 8V   88' Corvette -SS 30- 2001 SDR Solo2 Champion
82' Scirocco GTi -FSP 54-   79' "Project FSP Scirocco"  84' Scirocco 8V
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and best looking Scirocco(s) in all of
San Diego!

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.