[HELP!] The continuing saga of Daun's poor running '80 Scirocco

--- Shawn C Meze <skerocdriver@juno.com> wrote:
> How about the warm up regulator? if its going bad it can
> give the same
> symptoms but usually goes away after its warm.

It's been replace in the last couple years with a brand new
one, pretty doubtful.

> >Typical behavior:
> >Cold start, idle is extremely low - around 400-500 rpm.
> >Revs ok but hesitates under load.  The hesitation
> decreases
> >as the car warms up (but still remains) and the idle
> comes
> >up to normal - about 900-950 rpm.  Bahaves somewhat like
> >vacuum leak but I've not been able to find any.  (Any
> >thoughts on some 'not-so-common' vacuum leaks sources?
>

> One of the biggest overlooked vacuum leaks is the intake
> manifold. I put
> a wrench (hex) on the bolts every now and then. You might
> be surprised
> what you find. Check it.

Had it off last fall, no change.

> Otherwise you might want to do a grand'e intake boot
> removal and
> carefully inspect every inch of it.

Done that too, swapped with a known good one as well...

 while that's off look
> at the rest of
> the vacuum lines as well as the 5th injector. it can be a
> source for a
> leak.

I've been over vacuum lines a few times, though not with
carb cleaner.

> I would suspect a rich fuel system too. Just cuz.

Any clue on how to set it up properly?  I've leaned it
considerably from what it was when I put this distributor
on - could see puffs of black smoke at idle.

> This is normal sweet cheeks. (Im gonna miss you at ND
> this year. ALOT.)

Yeah...    gotta miss this year.  Probably next year
though.  When are you and Julie coming to Cincy?  :)

Thanks for the ideas.

=====
Daun Yeagley - Wilmington Ohio
'80 S, 81 S, '82, '85, & '88 Sciroccos
'82 Pickup
'90 Passat Wagon
"Never joke, taunt or dangle what might be seen as a challenge in front of the powers that be.  The universe is listening." - Lane Wallace