help!- especially NC listers

it turns and occasionally i get a backfire. from several sources i am still
unable to get the exact plug wire order. if someone would tell me the order
they go on the distributor (and which end is #1) it would be great (a
picture would be even better). i have not checked compression because i do
not have a compression tester. I do have spark (i tried a timing light and i
pulled all plugs and grounded them one by one while turning the key so as to
see the spark for myself).