i don't know if i should laugh or be embarrassed

That's pretty funny, and I had a similar experience. When I drove my car
home (and to, BTW) from the body shop after having it painted, I did so with
no windows, no grill and no trim pieces. I had the bumpers on with no
covers, and I had tail lights, but that didn't stop me from getting pulled
over about 100 ft. before I got home and into my garage. I didn't get a
ticket, mainly because I showed the cop my credit card receit that was
printed about 4 minutes eariler. No less safe then riding a motorcycle I
thought. :)

-- Craig