picking up a new beast - parts to take

"Foxx (in a box)" wrote:

>   i'm driving to get my new beasty in west virginia this weekend. this is about a 200 mile, or so, drive. i requires a starter, which i'll be taking along with a good assortment of tools. my question is, what else should i take? mind you  i'm planning on driving this thing back. i already have all the belts and will have a number of the hoses before i leave. i'll definitely take a fuel pump relay (jumper wire at least), but was wondering what other people think might be beneficial to take. alternator? fuel pump? i have some space, but not a whole lot for parts. as said, i'll be getting it this weekend (leaving friday evening) so i'd appreciate hearing from y'all before then. thanx.

- Distilled water and phosphate free coolant; (maybe two gallons of
water).
- Small bottle, unopened, of DOT 4 brake fluid.
- Two spare tires, inflated.
- Extra battery, if possible borrow a loaner.
- An Alt would be better than a starter, even if it's an auto.

Take a battery post cleaner tool and some spray cleaner (esp for
batteries) and do both clamps to post before you hit the road. Be sure
to pry up the battery caps (if you can) and top off with distilled water
(only distilled) but be sure not to over fill.

I might consider a new oil filter and two quarts of 20w50 oil. I'm
thinking you could spin off the old filter and with the new one's gasket
already moistened with fresh oil, you could swap them with a minimum of
spillage. Some cat litter and a cardboard flat with newspaper, even
better a garbage bag would leave no traces. Top off lost oil after it's
been run a little with the fresh stuff. This way you _know_ the filter
is doing it's job (prob. knock loose some gunk on the trip home anyway)
AND you get to freshen the oil but not have it all new in an unproved
vehicle.

- Some Tail /Brake light bulbs are the last thing I can brain storm on
the spur of the moment.

gl,
TBerk