From: John C. Worden [mailto:scirocco@powerlink.net]
Sent: Tuesday, April 09, 2002 2:11 PM
To: aireq@u.washington.edu
Subject: RE: What makes a 2 liter?

At 07:54 AM 4/9/02 -0700, you wrote:

>All you need to change is the block? No pistons or crack shaft or anything
>like that? What differentiates between a 1.8l head and a 2.0 l???
>

>aireq
The easiest way to make a 2.0 is to get a block out of a 90-92 GTI/GLI or
a 16V Passat.  The old way was to bore and stroke it which involved new
pistons, crankshaft and sometimes rods, not to mention machine work.
So much easier and cheaper today.  And if you can't find one if your area
for a good price I did a quick search for one at http://car-part.com/ and
came up
with a few hits, pretty well priced too.  Just don't know if they'd ship.
Good luck.

John C. Worden
Bucksport, Maine

'98 Dakota 4x4-Just rolled 100K
'86 Scirocco 8V-
'81 Scirocco 2.0 16V -
'78 Scirocco Brazil Brown Metallic,  4 speed.