[tech] Audi 1.8T in a MKII Rocco???

------=_NextPart_000_0022_01C1DFE7.E7554890

SNIP>>>>>>>>

(Silly 1.8t discussion crap)

>I believe I would have to comply to all the smog requirements If I was
>to get a referee here in California to certify my car so I could legally
>pass smog.

>It'll be hard enough to get the two liter bubble block a sticker.

>TBerk

Contrary to popular belief it is not hard to get an engine swap certified in
California.  You simply drop in the motor of your choice and include all the
smog and electronics from the donor car.  Then you take it to the referee
who inspects the install for completeness and tests for smog.  If it fails
the visual or smog, you get a report that outlines what to fix.

When I dropped the RD coded GTI motor complete with cis-e into my MkI a few
years ago I failed to install the vacuum system properly....actually left
out the charcoal canister.  I DID however, have a hollowed out cat and 4-2-1
headers on the car when I took it to the Ref.  It passed smog and the engine
install criteria with no problem however they wouldn't issue me a valid smog
certificate until I installed the charcoal canister and had a smog shop
retest.

Where people get into trouble is trying to stuff in a turbo or run
aftermarket injection systems.   For your proposed bubble block install you
will only have trouble if you either don't use the right injection system
for the 8v or 16v bubble block you stuff in or if you make the mistake of
telling your smog inspector about the install.

YMMV

Brian H

------=_NextPart_000_0022_01C1DFE7.E7554890

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3DWindows-1252">
6.0.5762.3">
<TITLE>RE: [tech] Audi 1.8T in a MKII Rocco???</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<!-- Converted from text/plain format -->

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>SNIP&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>(Silly 1.8t discussion crap)</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;I believe I would have to comply to all the smog =
requirements If I was</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;to get a referee here in California to certify my =
car so I could legally</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;pass smog.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;It'll be hard enough to get the two liter bubble =
block a sticker.</FONT>
</P>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;TBerk</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Contrary to popular belief it is not hard to get an =
engine swap certified in California.&nbsp; You simply drop in the motor =
of your choice and include all the smog and electronics from the donor =
car.&nbsp; Then you take it to the referee who inspects the install for =
completeness and tests for smog.&nbsp; If it fails the visual or smog, =
you get a report that outlines what to fix.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>When I dropped the RD coded GTI motor complete with =
cis-e into my MkI a few years ago I failed to install the vacuum system =
properly....actually left out the charcoal canister.&nbsp; I DID =
however, have a hollowed out cat and 4-2-1 headers on the car when I =
took it to the Ref.&nbsp; It passed smog and the engine install criteria =
with no problem however they wouldn't issue me a valid smog certificate =
until I installed the charcoal canister and had a smog shop =
retest.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Where people get into trouble is trying to stuff in a =
turbo or run aftermarket injection systems.&nbsp;&nbsp; For your =
proposed bubble block install you will only have trouble if you either =
don't use the right injection system for the 8v or 16v bubble block you =
stuff in or if you make the mistake of telling your smog inspector about =
the install.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>YMMV</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Brian H</FONT>