What kind of gas

Patrick, using higher octane gas will result in cooler engine tempera=
tures.
Most likely, you are either imagining things or your combustion chamb=
er is
ridden with carbon deposits. These can incandesce (glow red hot like =
coals)
and ignite the weaker gasoline prematurely. This is especially probab=
le with
a 10:1 or greater CR. If you're experiencing this with an 8.5:1 or lo=
wer,
then there's something gone wrong under your hood. -improper timing, =
overly
lean mixture, lots of carbon, head milled beyond spec, etc.