[tech] 4K vs 9a question was: What tranny is this?

Because the 4k is better damnit that's all!

-----Original Message-----
From: scirocco-l-admin@scirocco.org
[mailto:scirocco-l-admin@scirocco.org] On Behalf Of pbureau@attbi.com
Sent: Sunday, April 07, 2002 10:32 AM
To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: [tech] 4K vs 9a question was: What tranny is this?

To throw my 5 cents worth, I have an 85 (09/84
production date) and it is a JH Engine with a 9A
tranny. I beleive the 4K production line finished in 84
and 9A started in 85 production lines. the only
difference between a 4K tranny and a 9A tranny is the
final drive btw.

why state the 4K being a they are the performance
tranny on a vw when the 9a produced more MPH ??

4Y, 9A, ACD, AEN (8v Close Ratio)
3.67 3.45 2.12 1.44 1.13 0.89

4K
3.94 3.45 2.12 1.44 1.13 0.89

just to compare number in a more "realistic" way
here is a run down on each tranny on 205.50.15 @5000rpm
on each gear...the result was calculated by
scirocco.org "gear" sheet. here are the recorded results
@5000 RPM
Tranny   4k     9A
1rst    25MPH  27MPH
2nd     41MPH  44MPH
3rd     60MPH  64MPH
4th     77MPH  82MPH
5th     97MPH  105MPH

THe 9a tranny WOULD be the tranny to have over the 4k,
unless I am NOT understading the physic of
transmissions, can someone enlightent me without
bashing my head into a cement wall and setting my arse
in fire okay?

Thanks for Technical information here...

ATS - Patrick Bureau

ATS - Patrick Bureau
'HWB2002 - HouSton TX'