who wants to be my voice of reason?

Yes, I agree with Night Shadow that your rust damage
is ugly, especially since thos inner rockers would be
a bitch to repair.  However, being the lazy guy I can
be at times, I would probably put up with it for a
while.  It reminds me a lot of some MGB's that I used
to own.  On the MG's I repaired them improperly by
welding in plates over the damaged areas, which is not
very safe in terms of accidents.  If you look at many
old cars including VW's here in Canada, I'll bet a lot
of them have rust holes like that.  Fortunately, mine
doesn't, but I can see some starting to develop on the
outside of the rockers.

Chris J.
'83 Scirocco GT
'81 Kawasaki KZ550