From: DEMETRIS RAPTIS [mailto:raver@prodigy.net]=20
Sent: Thursday, April 04, 2002 3:23 AM
To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: Scirocco cooling

I used to have my own share of overheating fears.the needle would creep
up past the LED on summer time and oil temp would approach 120C. the
cause was a bad radiator, it was leaking where the aluminum is bonded to
the plastic. I replaced it, got rid of the AC compressor, condenser and
temps went down a bit. I went to the junkyard and got a Passat 16V dual
fan assembly. Awesome results!
With ambient temp of 95F, my oil temp would not go past 105C!! Of course
I have a low temp fan switch , a stock thermostat, WaterWetter and 80%
water in summer.
This winter I changed the mix to 50-50 antifreeze water, and the car
would not get hot enough. Oil temps were 85C !!
The dual fan assembly lets too much air in which hits the stock oil
cooler when traveling even at normal speeds.
I had to install a plastic panel in front of the radiator to get oil
temps around 90-95C and get the interior warm. I installed the three
gauge panel and used  oil tempgauge for the water temp reading. When the
needle is on top of the LED , the water temp is around 83C=3D 181 F. =
After
all these modifications, my oil is still clean and clear after 3,000
miles. For members that live in warm weather installing a dual fan
assembly from a newer VW is the best bet. Those fans have small motors
and give you more room .
Demetri

------_=_NextPart_001_01C1DD88.DE062C93

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Dus-ascii">
<TITLE>Message</TITLE>

<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D986424702-06042002><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff =
size=3D2>Ive=20
got some cooling info on my page as well in the tech=20
section.</FONT></SPAN></DIV><!-- Converted from text/plain format -->
<P><FONT size=3D2>Shannon</FONT></P>
<P><SPAN class=3D986424702-06042002><FONT size=3D2><A=20
href=3D"http://www.scirocco16v.com";>www.scirocco16v.com</A></FONT></SPAN>=
</P>
<P><FONT face=3DTahoma size=3D2>-----Original =
Message-----<BR><B>From:</B> DEMETRIS=20
RAPTIS [mailto:raver@prodigy.net] <BR><B>Sent:</B> Thursday, April 04, =
2002 3:23=20
AM<BR><B>To:</B> scirocco-l@scirocco.org<BR><B>Subject:</B> Scirocco=20
cooling<BR><BR></P></FONT>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr style=3D"MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I used to have my own share of =
overheating=20
  fears.the needle would creep up past the LED on summer time and oil =
temp would=20
  approach 120C. the cause was a bad radiator, it was leaking where the =
aluminum=20
  is bonded to the plastic. I replaced it, got rid of the AC compressor, =

  condenser and temps went down a bit. I went to the junkyard and got a =
Passat=20
  16V dual fan assembly. Awesome results!</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>With ambient temp of 95F, my oil temp =
would not=20
  go past 105C!! Of course I have a low temp fan switch , a stock =
thermostat,=20
  WaterWetter and 80% water in summer.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>This winter I changed the mix to =
50-50 antifreeze=20
  water, and the car would not get hot enough. Oil temps were 85C=20
!!</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The dual fan assembly lets too much =
air in which=20
  hits the stock oil cooler when traveling even at normal =
speeds.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I had to install a plastic panel in =
front of the=20
  radiator to get oil temps around 90-95C and get the interior warm. I =
installed=20
  the three gauge panel and used&nbsp; oil tempgauge for the water temp =
reading.=20
  When the needle is on top of the LED , the water temp is around 83C=3D =
181 F.=20
  After all these modifications, my oil is still clean and clear after =
3,000=20
  miles. For members that live in warm weather installing a dual fan =
assembly=20
  from a newer VW is the best bet. Those fans have small motors and give =
you=20
  more room .</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2>Demetri</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------_=_NextPart_001_01C1DD88.DE062C93--