Now getting totally OT; Today's adventures with customs]

16V Jason <jason@scirocco.org> wrote:
At 08:58 PM 4/2/2002, Mardak wrote:
>What's with all the "ooot"s?  Watching too much South Park?  :)

A complete joke that had me hilariously laughing as I wrote it.  If you =

don't know me (and my affinity for accents), the humor may have been =

lost...  No offense to anyone, I actually love the Toronto accent.  More =

than just the "out" stuff, Canadians speak with a beautiful rhythm that i=
s =

painfully missing from most American speech.

>Seriously though, no one in southern Ontario talks like that!  North of
>Toronto you start to hear the "Canadian" accent, but around here we
>sound like any other red blooded American, except for the odd "eh"
>added in for effect...

I beg to differ.  Big time. :)
I drive 200m past the Peace Bridge and can hear the accent as clear as =

day.  Accents are all relative -- so if you're from Southern Ontario, you=
 =

generally won't hear an accent unless it's thicker than yours.  (Or is =

different).  Believe me -- (and as a native New Yawka, I'm allowed to say=
 =

this), go to Manhattan and ask about the way they tawlk in =

Brooklyn...  They'll likely insist they have no accent at all -- despite =

the fact that you could hear it from a mile away.  The reason why is =

because it's not as thick of an accent as Brooklyn.  (Generally speaking
here).

So Mark, chances are you say "out" with a little bit of the classic accen=
t =

thrown in; and your spoken rhythm is probably very different from =

Americans.  It may not be thick, but I'll betcha it's there. :)

Jason

Mark, hate ta tell ya buddy, but you say OOOT too, at least I didn't noti=
ce
you had an accent. That means it's same as mine, and when I go to the Sou=
thern
US, they always comment on the OOOT thing (and my continual use of "eh", =
likey
to maintain the beautiful rhythm, eh?) Funny, folks here used to ask me i=
f I
was from New Yawk, a bit of a twang I guess.
As for the humo_u_r  ,spell it right, dammit! So I'm siding with you
Jason,(except on your spelling) and it scares me just a wee bit... =