'82 For sale/Hot wiring tip

First of all are you mechanically inclined? This may be easier than you
think. Does the car just die? No more power from the engine? Sounds to me
like the switch  on the ignition. Try this.

Make a "Y" of fairly heavy wire, about 5" long on each leg, with about an
inch of stripped wire on each end.
Remove the cover from under the steering col, and remove the wire harness
from the back of the ignition switch. (Cut the wire tie if its there to
lower it enough)
>From the back of the harness, push the base of the "Y" into the heavy red
wire (#30)
One loose end push into the dual black wire (#15, your dash should light up)
The other wire touch to the red/black wire (#85, the starter) and the car
should start. (Let go that wire else the starter will continue to spin).
Put the key in the ignition to unlock the steering & take a test drive.

If the car runs OK then the switch is bad and can be replaced as per your
Bently.

I had my car at VW and they didn't find my problem either. Mine turned out
to be VAC leak, (my addiction to these cars is another problem).

Good luck,

Julie (the little old lady from Amsterdam; having never been to Passadena)