Today's adventures with customs

At 08:58 PM 4/2/2002, Mardak wrote:
>What's with all the "ooot"s?  Watching too much South Park?  :)

A complete joke that had me hilariously laughing as I wrote it.  If you
don't know me (and my affinity for accents), the humor may have been
lost...  No offense to anyone, I actually love the Toronto accent.  More
than just the "out" stuff, Canadians speak with a beautiful rhythm that is
painfully missing from most American speech.

>Seriously though, no one in southern Ontario talks like that!  North of
>Toronto you start to hear the "Canadian" accent, but around here we
>sound like any other red blooded American, except for the odd "eh"
>added in for effect...

I beg to differ.  Big time. :)
I drive 200m past the Peace Bridge and can hear the accent as clear as
day.  Accents are all relative -- so if you're from Southern Ontario, you
generally won't hear an accent unless it's thicker than yours.  (Or is
different).  Believe me -- (and as a native New Yawka, I'm allowed to say
this), go to Manhattan and ask about the way they tawlk in
Brooklyn...  They'll likely insist they have no accent at all -- despite
the fact that you could hear it from a mile away.  The reason why is
because it's not as thick of an accent as Brooklyn.  (Generally speaking here).

So Mark, chances are you say "out" with a little bit of the classic accent
thrown in; and your spoken rhythm is probably very different from
Americans.  It may not be thick, but I'll betcha it's there. :)

Jason