2.0l block

If I wanted to build a 2.0l 16v motor for my Scirocco would it be better to
use a 2.0l 8v and put a 16v head on it or should I stall with a 2.0l 16v
block?  what is the difference between the blocks?  The main concern is the
water jacket size and such but the engine is not going to be running for
very long at any point in time so overheating is not really an issue, if I
am thinking correctly, please help me...

Jared
79' Dasher (daily driver)
81' Rabbit Truck (just purchased - going to be daily driver)
87' Scirocco 16v (autocross car)