Tire pressure was Re: My own 2 stupid questions (tires andtrannies)

On Wed, 3 Apr 2002, T Berk wrote:

> - Follow the tire's recommendation, not the car's door jamb rating for
> pressure.
>
> New tire tech vs Old Car sticker.
Well,

I'd say its a little of both. The MFG sets front and rear pressure based
on the weight of the car & its FT rear distribution of that weight. Unless
you have radically changed weight distribution the proportions should be
right.

However, different tires have different optimum pressures, so you may have
to proportiaonaly air up and down based on what the tire needs.

If you've redistributed the weight in your ve-hicle, all bets are off and
the MFG data really doesnt apply anymore.

I'd say as long as the MFG pressure doesnt fall above or below the
recommended pressure of the tire, start from there and adjust IF your ride
is more or less stock (including diameter of wheel and size of tire.) If
you've been futzing with it, all bets are off ;)

take care,

Steve

     If you see a mad professor in a minibus, just smile. --James Bond
                      http://westfailure.org