What to do if the screws holding the licence plate arerusted out

>At 04:14 PM 3/31/02 -0800, Andrew Wong wrote:
>
>>Another dumb question, but I need to change the bulbs
>>of the plate lights and when I inserted my screw
>>driver into the screw it the rusted screw was covered
>>the parts to insert the screw driver.  How should I
>>take them out then.  COuld I unscrew the hatch and
>>change the bulb from there
>>thanks
>>
>>=====
>>-Andrew Wong

Go to the dealer.  Order two now light fixtures at about $12 each (?).  Get a
couple of new bulbs while your there too, since you don't have them out yet
and they'll probably match exactly.   Oh, you might also want to
order the rubber
sealing gaskets if they're not included.
After 3-5 days you'll have the parts.  Take them to your local Lowes
/ Home Depot.
Dig through there assortment of stainless steel flat head screws until you
find the ones that seat into the light fixture recesses.  Get four.  Dig around
in their nylon washer area, get 4 of them that the screws will fit
through, but will
probably not fit down into the light fixture screw recesses.  Shave the
nylon washers down until they fit.

Break the light fixtures on the car, right off if you have to.
Buh-bye.  Grab those
rusted to crap screws with what-ever pliers impliment you
prefer...careful not to
damage your paint in the process.  Clean, prep, repaint if necessary.
Install your
beautiful new hardware, enjoy. :-)

==Brett

\/\/ '88 Scirocco 16v (Show), '92 Passat 16v (Winter+) | - brett@netacc.net