Re: wheel bearing question

On Sat, 29 Sep 2001 17:14:33 -0400 "Brad Sayer" <vwrocco85@hotmail.com>
writes:
>I tried that first.  This thing is stuck on, big time!  Couldn't pry,
and I
>found some cheap puller thing, and bent the damn thing trying to get
>the race off.  Seems pretty stuck on.  Now I am trying to find myself a
>new hub in a hurry.  Noone carrys them.  Anyone know a place I can get a
hub
>ASAP in the NY, North NJ area?
>
>Brad

Funny. I had to replace a set of front bearings on my 82 today. I had the
same problem. I couldn't get into my shop to press the races out and had
to McGyver them off. No heat, no presses, not even a decently equipped
tool box at my disposal.

I thought the easiest way was to go  to VeeParts and pick up a new set of
hubs.since the ones that were on it were only a couple years old, I
figured id hang onto then as a spare set. When I got there, they only had
one hub. So, I returned home and figured out how to get them off. At
least it was only gonna be half as hard. It took me a couple hours which
SUX! If I had access to my shop, it would of taken me 5 minutes tops. Oh
well.

So, what I did was took a chisel to where there is the notch on the hub.
I started working one side then the other. I didn't chisel towards the
center of the hub but rather, at an angle so the chisel would drive the
race up and the chisel runs parallel to the hub. Tap-tap remove, insert
on the other side, tap-tap. Repeat a bazillion times.

I got it down about 1/4" and then took a larger diameter punch and used
it as a wedge. That got it down another 1/4". I tried a few other ways to
get it to continue without any success. Then I took 2 vice grips and
worked the race the rest of the way off by clamping down on the bottom of
the race and the top of the hub spline. It came off pretty quick after
that.

Hope you have an easier time.

Shawn Méze
86' Jetta GLi 8V       84' Scirocco 8V           88' Corvette -SS 30-
82' Scirocco GTi -FSP 54-     79' "Project FSP Scirocco"
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and best looking Scirocco(s) in all of
San Diego!