Re: wheel bearing question

I rented the tool from Rapid to do the front bearings on my car. EVerything
went real easy, but I can't get the inner race off the hub. Rapid didn't
mention needing an additional tool, and Scott Williams had said he didn't
remember needing anything else. How the hell do I get the inner race off
the hub then? I guess I could bring it to a shop tomorrow and see if they
will pull it, or buy new hubs, (but I was hoping to save a few bucks). I
can't find a bearing puller type tool that will work at any Autozone or
Advance auto either.
Brad >>

I use an air hammer/chisel and it takes it right off...
I hit it with the air hammer where the race is up against the hub, it starts to back off, and then I just continue to walk it off.

You could also use a dremel or similar tool with a cut off wheel, and CAREFULLY make a cut into the race.
When it gets close to the hub, you can hit the cut with a chisel, open it up and slide it off.

HTH,
Peter

--

Peter - http://thescirocco.com - Discount Techtonics, Autotech-Quaife USA, Magnecor, & Peloquin Dealer -  Bear, DE 19701

'79 Scirocco 16V "Retro"
'83 GTI "Caged Rabbit"
'84.5 Scirocco "Oddball"
'84 GTI
SciRollers: '79 White Champagne Edition, '84 Black, '88 Red

DO NOT: