RE: 86 16V vs. 2.0 16V Talon

I'll second that. A Talon turbo is a bad-ass car...even the FWD ones.

For the uninitiated, a Talon is often called a "DSM" (Diamond Star
Motors...the collaboration between Chrysler and Mitsubishi). Usually, when
people say DSM, they're talking about one of several cars that share the
same basic drivetrain as the Talon. Other DSM's include the Mitsu Eclipse,
Plymouth Laser, Mitsu Galant VR4, and the all-mighty Mitsu Lancer Evo.

As drivetrains go, it is REALLY difficult to build a faster car than a DSM
for less money. That's why they're so damn popular. With stock internals,
those turbo engines are capable of 600hp if you don't care about turbo lag.
With AWD and a decent suspension, they can turn, they can rally...you name
it! The SCCA Street Modified autocross class has a number of 400hp+ DSM's,
and obviously the DSM can beat anything out there on a rally course (except
for an equally well-driven Subaru :P ).

The downside is that they have an incredibly weak transmission, and they are
quite heavy compared to a Scirocco. Still, as Japanese cars go, I wouldn't
mind having a DSM in the garage...

Neal
'88 16v
'77 G60 project