RE: which is beefier Fk or 4K?

There is so little difference between the gearing in these transmissions
that I would call them totally interchangeable from a performance point of
view. Both trannies came with 90mm drive flanges. However, I am unsure as to
whether the FK has the old style outer case or the new one.

The old style are harder to upgrade to 100mm drive flanges which may or may
not be part of your mission plan. This really isn't a critical upgrade,
though. I've tortured my 90mm cv joints for years on end and they hold up
fine.
--
Scott F. Williams
NJ Scirocco nut