Re: Crusty Rusty

Uh... overlapping the metal when welding creates a nice tight little gap
that is excellent at holding moisture where you get that wonderful caked
rust that is even better at holding moisture. So, that's good to avoid.
Butt welding adjoining metal is the best approach, but is labor
intensive.
Before you weld the pieces together paint them with "weld thru primer".
3M makes this product. This will be especially suitable on the bottom
flange where you spot weld.
After your welding is complete I'd try to paint the internal surfaces
(not sure how) with some rust converter like POR 15.
This is the best I can think of and I intend to do these steps to my
newly acquired '81 unless somebody has a better plan.
Dan