RE: R&P six speed tranny

Chris Jevens wrote:
> I'm already in the process of
> gettin one of these through EM Sports' add-on kit from VL
> Enterprise(Vince's
> kit), but using the 3.94 final from my 4K. You bought the other(4.25)? I
> thought these were a rare find?

Well, they are definitely a rare find out in the "wild". They only came
stock in the Jetta ECO diesel of the early nineties (AVX tranny code) AFAIK.
However, they can be purchased very easily from BSI Racing for an obcene
amount of money ($450 IIRC?). Look here: <www.bsiracing.com>

> The reason I wanted to go with the 4K in the first place was for
> the added
> acceleration and performance that you can get from a higher final, but my
> concern was the higher RPM's were going to kill me with the
> buzzing when you cruise on the highway.

Well, I'm used to horrific noise and buzziness at speed so it ain't nuthin'
to me, man. However, about 3k rpms at 65mph doesn't seem so bad to me. From
my perspective that is luxurious!

> I used to deal with this in my rabbit gti
> ('84), and
> plus the loss of top end speed. This is why I'm interested in the Six. I
> wonder if the .71 is going to be too much of a drop?

Again, it is a matter of perspective. If you run a .89 fifth gear, the drop
to .71 in sixth is pretty reasonable.

> I guess I'm still trying to figure out what I want for my
> gearing. what gear
> ratios did you use scott?

final drive: 4.25 (AVX/ BSI Racing)
1st: 3.45 (standard in all 020 production boxes)
2nd: 1.97 (wide ratio 2nd gear for approximately same drive ratio as
standard 4k box)
3rd: 1.44 (close ratio)
4th: 1.13 (close ratio)
5th: .89 (close ratio)
6th: .75 (wide ratio 5th gear/will probably swap to .71)

The main thing that you want to decide is exactly what you're building your
transmission for. My car will be dedicated to canyon carving and backroad
blasts. The 4.25 r&p offers incredible torque in all gears. The short ratio
also compensates for whatever I've lost with the Shrick 260deg cams (soon to
be 260/276) and the extra weight of the roll cage.

Notes:
1. First gear can not be modified unless you swap to a motorsports version
($$$$$$$$$)

2. I raised second up a little bit to a tall ratio gear so that it is
actually useable for more than a second. My old rally gearbox had the
standard 2.12 gear and it was frequently too short. Third gear was usually
too tall. So, this 1.97 is a compromise that works great. It also puts gears
2 - 5 incredibly close to each other. -perfect!
--
Scott F. Williams
NJ Scirocco nut

Check out our rally team's website!