Re: [US bumpers=safer! was Re: US bumpers=ugly ]

On Fri, 21 Sep 2001 22:51:40 -0400 "Neal Tovsen"
<sixteen.volt@verizon.net> writes:
> Anybody with Mk1 Scirocco Euro bumpers care to comment on the
> "beefiness"?
> I've never held a pair myself. Hell, I don't know if I've ever
> *seen* a set before. Seem to be quite rare in the US...

The Scirocco Mk.1 euro bumpers are a little beefier than the euro Rabbit
bumpers, but they both use the tiny 8mm (13mm headed) bolts. I don't like
how the euro Rabbit bumper frame isn't as wide as the cover, this would
be really bad  if you hit something at an angle, since the front corners
don't have any metal to back them up.

The US Mk.1 bumpers weigh 39lbs each, and the euro bumpers are 16lbs
each...
The US bumpers are kinda the same in the design, except that they have
additional reinforcements, heavier gauge steel, and the bumper tube
shocks.

I never liked how the US setup connects the front bumper trim to the
grill, in an impact the trim pieces stress the grill and the turn
signals. I removed the trim pieces on my RIP '81 S, just for that
reason...

I have 2 pics of my '79 Scirocco with euro bumpers on my web site...

Peter - http://thescirocco.com - Discount Techtonics, Autotech-Quaife
USA, Ronal USA, Motorworks, Magnecor & Peloquin Dealer -  Bear, DE 19701

'79 Scirocco 16V 25 049
'83 GTI 37 505
'84.5 Scirocco 42 133
'84 GTI 63 348  - SciRollers: '79 70 900, '84 Black, '88 Red -
http://www.neojedi.com/feedbyte/topTen.php