RE: [US bumpers=safer! was Re: US bumpers=ugly ]

> My Rabbit convertible has Euro bumpers.  They look cool as hell, they
> snug in the lines of the car just like Scirocco Euros do.
>
> They are also mere decoration.

BZZZZTTT!! No offense, Jim, but the conversation gets halted right there.
I've seen Rabbit Euro bumpers. You are correct about their safety aspects,
and they are a whole different ballgame from Mk2 Scirocco Euro bumpers! My
bumpers may not be nearly as beefy (that's a positive spin, eh?) as the US
bumpers, but they are not mere tinfoil as the Mk1 Rabbit bumpers are. They
actually do have reasonable substance and will protect the rest of the car
in a similar incident.

As an interesting side note, I'll add that the pneumatic shocks you mention
seem to be a quirky abnormality of the early/mid 80's ONLY. My '88 doesn't
have them (even on the US bumpers), and I've never seen them on a newer car.
If there were any safety benefits, nobody seems to care any more.

Anybody with Mk1 Scirocco Euro bumpers care to comment on the "beefiness"?
I've never held a pair myself. Hell, I don't know if I've ever *seen* a set
before. Seem to be quite rare in the US...

Finally, to head off the forthcoming discussion: NO. Unlike rear spoilers,
bumpers (big or small) have NOTHING WHATSOEVER to do with genitalia! Got
that? :P

Neal