thanks list, I owe ya one.

aint the first time the last has come through for me.

problem solved.  turns out that one of those metal strips on the back of my
pressure plate had broken.  the surface of the pressure plate had become
slightly off center (not off enough to see if it was dark and you were tired
and frustrated).  and not a problem that you would see if the PP was still
bolted to the crank.  it was dragging on two of the flywheel bolts.  three
weeks, $150, three transmission pulls, and much swearing, i finally got it.

mucho thanks to everyone who helped, especially kevin, who suggested selling
the car to my brother :p

check the pics, you can see the broken metal and grooves in the side of the
pp, and the hose that got chewed up by the fan.

http://www.calpoly.edu/~jdoty/pics/pp1.jpg
http://www.calpoly.edu/~jdoty/pics/pp2.jpg
http://www.calpoly.edu/~jdoty/pics/pp3.jpg
http://www.calpoly.edu/~jdoty/pics/pp4.jpg