Wheel bearing [?] crunching in the front

I managed to acertain serveral loose lug nuts - I'm lucky I didn't loose a
wheel hurdling down the mountain road.

There's nothing going on, everything looks and sounds ok, except a little
metalic noise behind the front passenger wheel hub. When I turn the wheel it
sounds like a little bearing ball is rolling around in the bottom. There are
no other noises when turning the wheel, or turning the hub without the
wheel. Brake pads etc look ok.

Can I assume that the wheel bearing is kaputt? It's been to long since I've
had one apart, is there any place for those little bearings to go and roll
around.

Thanks for all the advice guys!