Re: programmable engine management

Really what is needed it to measure mass air flow. This will compensate for
all variables and is the system of choice for all new cars. But, MAF systems
still have some inlet restrictions, (less than a CIS @ ~1psi loss, as an
example, but there is still a pressure drop @~.5psi loss) so performance
fuel injection needs to dispense with the MAF sensor.
A MAP based system infers mass air flow by assuming that flow is
proportional to manifold pressure, or at least that flow is consistent for a
given manifold pressure and engine RPM. The system applies a temperature
correction to this. A MAP based system doesn't compensate for humidity. So,
a MAP based system doesn't measure mass air flow, it effectively calculates
it.
A TPS based system assumes that pressure drop across the throttle valve is
consistent for a given throttle angle and engine RPM. It can then, in
effect,  subtract the pressure drop from ambient to infer intake manifold
pressure. Because it has a MAP sensor measuring barometric pressure it has
altitude compensation and it can also use temp correction just like a MAP
based system. TPS system also do not compensate for humidity. A TPS system
also doesn't measure mass air flow, it calculates it with one additional
input.
Haltech (as an example) can be either TPS or MAP based. If TPS based it uses
the MAP sensor to measure barometric pressure, so it does have altitude
compensation and, of course, it still has the intake air temp sensor so it
compensates for temp.
Interestingly, all racing fuel injection systems were essentially TPS based
(with no ambient pressure correction) until 1972 when Porsche was
turbocharging the CanAm 917. A TPS system, of course, does not have the same
flow into the cylinder for a given throttle plate angle as the turbocharger
spools up. Porsche/Bosch had to add manifold pressure into the fuel
injection control (via a 3D cam) to what was essentially a TPS system to
approximate the correct A/F ratio.
Getting back to the Badger TB's, the issue here is that the volume in the
intake manifold between the throttle valve and the intake valves is very
small and it only has one cylinder sucking from it. So, the pressure
fluctuation is dramatic compared to a plenum type manifold. The question is
can this fluctuating pressure signal be "conditioned" by combining a feed
from all 4 cylinders and perhaps restricting that feed. Personally, I'd be
asking Badger if their TB's will work with a MAP based system since their
website makes no mention of MAP sensor input for their kits. (The DTA ECU
offered with the Badger kit can do either MAP or TPS based FI, but Badger
only mentions the TPS input.)
TEC II used to offer "Super Blend" software that used TPS input for low load
conditions where the MAP signal wasn't stable enough then transitioned to
MAP based at higher load. Don't know if they still offer this as they have
now gone to WinTEC software which may or may not do this. TEC II was the
only affordable system that could combine TPS and MAP. It would be nice if
it still did.
My $.02
Dan