Re: 2H vs. 4K vs. FK - which is best for 16v

On Sun, 16 Sep 2001 21:03:43 -0400 "Steven Mikolajczuk"
<scirocco-16v@mediaone.net> writes:
> I ordered a 4K from a junkyard but they sent me a 2H - the guy at the
> junk yard has no clue about vw stuff - will this work in an 86 16v 2.0l

> roc? I plan on putting a qauife in and also a taller 5th gear.  if it
isn't
> worth it I will send it back and try to find a 4k again.
>
> Thanks,
> Steve

If you are getting a Quaife and a different 5th gear, the only difference
that will affect you is that the case has to be machined, or replaced, to
clear the DS CV flange. Normally I wouldn't recommend replacing the case
half, but it has to come off to install the Quaife.
I have a 100mm case half from an '85 ACN that I took apart, in case you
want to go that route.

The 4K is worth more than a 2H, because it can be used in an A2, it has
the factory LSD rings, it will accept 100mm CV's and the 80% LSD kit. I'd
see about getting a small refund, or the 4K that you originally ordered.

Either trans will do wonders for your acceleration and the factory LSD is
not used with a Quaife.

Peter - http://thescirocco.com - Discount Techtonics, Autotech-Quaife
USA, Ronal, Motorworks, Magnecor & Peloquin Dealer -  Bear, DE 19701

'79 Scirocco 16V 25 049
'83 GTI 37 505
'84.5 Scirocco "Oddball"
'84 GTI 63 348  - SciRollers: '79 70 900, '84 Black, '88 Red -
http://www.neojedi.com/feedbyte/topTen.php