[tech]: weird idle/timing issues

ok, so the saga looks like it's nearing the end. so i'm having trouble
tuning it just right. i think timing's the problem.
first, a couple of basic questions.
1) which one is the timing mark, which is tdc? i'm assuming tdc is the large
arrow on the left of the other mark.
2) what the hell is the correct firing order/direction? i think it's 1-3-4-2
counter clockwise, but i'm tired and want to make sure this isn't the
problem :)

here's the weird stuff: my flywheel seems to move the wrong way when i
adjust my timing light. previous to this swap, if i set the light to 0' and
time to the mark on the right, adjusting the light to 6' would make the big
arrow line up with the pointer. ie, turning the dial from 0->6 made the
flywheel turn left. now it goes the opposite way. something isn't right
here. i'm stumped, but i'm sure it's something obvious.

this is i think what's causing my idle probs. set the mixture at 10mv, idle
bypass screw so dwell=26, and timing to what i think is 6'btdc. everything
right where it should be. the car idles at 1400 rpm. only way to get the
idle below 1200 is to turn the bypass screw to its stop and then turn the
distributor (i forget which way; i think ccw). i'm guessing it's something
basic that i'm doing wrong here, but i've done this so many times that i'm
now confused as to what's going on, if that makes any sense. anyway, i'd
appreciate any help that will get my car running to its previous/future
state of bliss.
-michael
88 2.0 16v scirocco<--now more than a lawn ornament!

ps: apparently it *is* possible to put the flywheel on wrong on a 16v. i
found the mysterious "balancing holes" that bentley warns against. another
tranny pulled, another lesson learned the hard way. and even not running
right, the 2.0l feels pretty sweet. it seems like the power kicks in at 3k
rpm instead of 4k. big diff. now time for power modules, cams and headers,
oh my!