From: owner-scirocco-l@scirocco.org
[mailto:owner-scirocco-l@scirocco.org]On Behalf Of Ryan Mc
Sent: Friday, September 14, 2001 11:03 AM
To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: 88 16V ignition problems

My '88 16v has been having major ignition problems and has been undriveable
for about two months.  Right now it barely starts and can not be driven.
I'm 90% sure the ignition system is reverting to limp home and severely
retarding the timing, I can't get a reading with my timing light no matter
how far the timing is advanced on the dist.
I swapped in a new knock box from an 8V and now it will start and idle but
very badly.  This is with the timing advanced all the way.  The timing marks
on the crank/fly/cam line up perfectly.  I've also tried another 16V
knockbox and it didn't help.  I put another knock sensor in and still no
change.  Can you guys think of any other things to check?
thanks