RE: scirocco-L-digest V1 #1887

I think that if my wife or I notice stress cracks in MY member, my car will
be the last thing on my mind!!!!

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-scirocco-l@scirocco.org
[mailto:owner-scirocco-l@scirocco.org]On Behalf Of Brian Dettling
Sent: Friday, September 14, 2001 4:25 PM
To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: Re: scirocco-L-digest V1 #1887

RE:  Cross member cracking

It may be obvious, but doesn't the 16V Scir have a larger opening where
the (larger) fresh air engine intake is? It might contribute to the early
demise of this structural memeber.  I would like to purchase a
reinforcing brace that would prevent/cure this.  Along the same lines, it
would also be cool if you could affix some brace that also reinforces
where the front motor mount is that allows you to jack up the front of
the car there.....(lazy a** wishing).

- --- Dan Bubb <jdbubb@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> Kevin:
> So, where did the core support crack? It would be
> good to know where to
> look in case my 220K mile 84 was starting to develop
> some of the same
> symptoms.
> Pictures would be really good for reference.
> Thanks
> Dan

Generally, this seems to only happen on Sciroccos with
high output motors (120+ ?) - anyone out there have
experience to counter this idea? (very curious)

It never has happened to me (7 Sciroccos since 1977) -
the most HP I've had is probably near 110hp.

I have some literature that suggests that when VW
engineers designed the chassis in the early 1970's,
they designed it to handle up to 120 hp . . .

--
Brian D./OH
How can you be in two places at once when you're not anywhere at all...