Why Slot your Rotors (or pads)? Was: What's the straight dope on SS brake lines?(long tech response)

The given reason on why you would slot your rotors,
(Like these:)
<http://www.newdimensions.com/products/page_2.html>

is to avoid hot expansion gasses from getting in the way of your
stopping power.

TBerk

Brian McGarvey wrote:

<snip>

> moving from solid rotors to vented rotors more than DOUBLES the heat
> dissapation surface area. allowing the system to cool at faster rate.
>
> <personal opinion>
> I'm not sure what ppl think they are getting w/ slotted rotors other than
> cool looks but the surface area increase for heat dissapation is very
> small. I understand there is a train of thought about brake dust, but the
> gains are marginal at best mostly i believe it is cosmetic.
> </personal opinion>

<snip>