[sigh]: why am i such a goddamn moron? and why does my car hate me?

so the latest saga involves taking my car for a celebratory spin, and it
ended in tragedy with redline all over the concrete. [flashback]

the day before, i had been taking my distributor off, and a bolt fell. crap,
where'd it go? as i look down, i see a timing hole in the top of the
bellhousing. did it fall down there? what would be the odds of that? look
elsewhere. can't find it. look in the bellhousing, just to be sure. nope.
snake a coathanger down, move it around. nope. turn the engine/flywheel by
hand. no rattle. ah well, must have fallen somewhere else... [end flashback]

take the tranny out, guess what? found my bolt. also found a new gaping hole
where the bolt had ground its way into the differential. so it looks like i
am now out a tranny. i REALLY want my car back. questions:

1. what tranny can i use? i need something with a 5th at least as tall as
mine. i can swap mine in if it's EASY. like <1hr. then can i use one from an
8v? i also don't want something with taller low gears that will hurt my
acceleration. that rules out newer ones?
2. how much should i expect to pay?
3. anyone have one that they'd be willing to drive to atl, pref tomorrow? :)
free food, beer, place to stay, etc. of course.
4. is mine in any way salvagable? the hole is from right next to the
flywheel (looks like it wedged) through to the differential, and it's about
1 cm diameter, almost round.

grumble grumble,
-marta mike
88 motherfuckingnotrunningsincejuly scirocco 16v
(marta would be the metropolitan atlanta transit authority, who have been
kind enough to shuttle my ass around for the last 6 weeks with the rest of
the crackheads)