RE: The race of the century

I don't want to burst your bubble, but I wanted to let you know before you
get yourself in too deep:

Unfortunately, it is far easier to get a Conquest to run 11s than a
Scirocco. In fact, the Starion/Conquest is probably one of the cheapest ways
to build a SERIOUSLY FAST import drag car. With RWD, a turbo on a
bullet-proof motor, and interchangability with other DSM parts, they are
hard to beat. I'm not into the import drag scene, but I'm pretty sure there
are some 8-second Conquests out there. Except for slick tires, a Conquest
could probably do 11s and still be street legal.

Except for EIP's crazy turbo mk1 drag car, I don't know of ANY Scirocco that
can even come close to 11s...for any amount of cash. (yeah, yeah, I know the
guys at EIP are jerks...but the cars they build for themselves are
incredible!)

I'm not saying that it can't be done (I hope you do!), especially if his car
has been sitting for two years. I'm just saying that there are actually some
pretty damn fast Conquests out there. There's one here in Tampa that will
beat the snot out of pretty much anything on the street.

Of course, if "fast in a straight line" equated to "good car", we would all
be driving Camaros, wouldn't we? Invite this guy to an autocross, and then
show him why you drive a Scirocco!

Neal