RE: [Mk1gti] [tech] 2.0l Swap 8V

> Would it be ok to run a high compression motor (~10:1) w/o a knock sensor?
> I know that people do it...so is the trick to just always run 93 octane
> and keep the timing closely tuned?  Would there be any real gain to
> running knock sensor...besides safety?

I recommend installing the knock sensor. I used to run the Warpig without
one and the motor pinged on 93 octane when it got hot -especially during the
summer, of course. Considering that pre-detonation acts as a force *against*
the rising piston, it can only hurt performance. So, in this case, the
safety blanket is actually a performance addition.
--
Scott F. Williams
NJ Scirocco nut

Check out our rally team's website!