Re: [Re: Differences between 8v and 16v] [Intake on the wrong side]

--- 16V Jason <jason@scirocco.org> wrote:
> At 10:26 AM 9/5/2001 , Mash wrote:
> > > And more trivia, I saw a REAL (Canadian) 89 at a
> car
> > > show and the throttle
> > > body was on the wrong side, golf style.
> >
> >uh huh . . .
> >
> >" It was > factory, not a drop in engine."
> >
> >This I do not believe. Sciroccos continued in
> >production until late 1992. 1989 was not even close
> >the end run . . .
>
> Very coincidentally I was just on the phone with The
> Mad Bastard and he saw
> an 89 with the same deal -- intake on the passenger
> side.  I forwarded the
> thread to make sure that he sees it...
>
> But he pointed out one very important thing -- the
> 16V Scirocco did stay in
> production in Europe until 92, but the intake used
> in those cars was the
> 50mm intake

AFAIK, the 50mm intake was used only on the KR code
motors (139hp), which ceased production on the 1980s.

The 16V Sciroccos sold in Europe in the 1990s were
code PL and were rated 129hp - they had 42 mm intakes.

Dirk will correct me if I'm wrong :-)

Dirk owns a 1992 Scirocco, so he can comment better
than I.

 -- which couldn't be used in North
> America.  So it does make
> total sense that VW was using "leftover parts" from
> the A2 cars, since the
> only 42mm intakes that they had were
> passenger-style.

This is not the case.

This story is weird. Weird enough to make me wonder .
. .

=====
Mark Peele
1985 Scirocco, 1982 Scirocco, 1981 Scirocco, 1978 Scirocco, 1987 Golf GT
http://www.scirocco2.de/mark.htm
Direct Mail: SCIROCCO_GTX@YAHOO.COM
Need parts? try http://www.parts4vws.com/ (Potterman)
or http://www.germanautoparts.com/ (Adirondack)