Re: WEIRD 8v cabby Timing solved

Dan, is the camshaft sprocket maybe on backwards? I recall from looking at various years & models of mine that the sprocket looks like it will slide onto the shaft with either side facing the motor, and that each side has a timing mark but they aren't 180 degrees apart. I've tried putting one on backwards so I don't know for sure if it would work, and if so how obvious it would be or if it would change the sprocket offset. You might want to double check if there's a timing mark on the outside of the sprocket that's 180 degrees off TDC. If so the sprocket's probably backwards and the offset may not be exactly right.

---
'86 Scirocco 8V, soon to be sold
'82 Scirocco 1.8 8v - the daily driver
'81 Caddy
'78 Rabbit 1.7L rustbucket in semi-retirement
'86 Celica GTS
'02 PT Cruiser - the wife's boat